First 5 is a Government strategy for babies, young children and families. It is a ten-year plan from 2019-2028 to help ensure all children have positive early experiences and get a great start in life. You can access the strategy here: First 5 Strategy 2019-2028
First 5 has a vision for early childhood which looks at the following areas:
- A healthy childhood starting from pregnancy
- A nurturing and playful home environment where material needs are met
- Children having time together with their parents, especially in their first year
- High quality play-based early learning and care experiences
- Positive transitions to primary school.
A website has been developed to provide information, resources and continuing professional development for parents, Early Learning and Care settings, and Early Years Practitioners. The website provides progress reports on the implementation of First 5 as well as COVID-19 guidance, resources for parents Pre-school at Home and Practitioners. You can access the website here: First 5 | A Government Strategy For Babies & Young Children.